1909-S VDB for the price of a 1909-S

Home Forums Coin Forums Coin Stories 1909-S VDB for the price of a 1909-S

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rick Fredericksen Rick Fredericksen 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Bruce Boyce
    Bruce Boyce
    Participant

A long time ago at a coin show I was going through a dealers coins trying to find a couple to buy. He had a bunch of Lincoln Cents I was going through. One of them was a 1909-S. I always look at coins that I am buying with a magnifier, and I spotted what appeared to be a VDB on the back of the coin. Except it was very, very faint. I almost thought I was imagining it, because it wasn’t fully visible. If I remember right, you could see the bottom part of the ‘VDB” and the top was super weak. Anyway, I decided to buy the coin. I think it was a VG or Fine, some lower grade coin. I showed it to a couple of dealers. One said it was a 1909-S VDB, and the other said it was not. I decided to send it in to get certified (which is the only coin I have ever sent in to get certified in my life). I sent it to PCI at the time because it was cheap. It ended up coming back as a 1909-S VDB “Weak VDB”. I was so so so happy when it came back! Later I ended up selling it because I needed money, but I made a few hundred dollars on it!

Profile photo of David Salyer
    David Salyer
    Participant

Awesome Bruce! Way to Cherry-pick!

Profile photo of Bruce Boyce
    Bruce Boyce
    Participant

Thanks David! That will probably be the best investment coin I will ever buy in my life lol!

Profile photo of Garry naples
    Garry naples
    Participant

Good job!

Profile photo of Rick Fredericksen
    Rick Fredericksen
    Participant

Great Job Bruce. How long did you have to wait to get it back? which also probably had you on pins and needles. It probably sucked parting ways with that gem.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.