1909-S VDB for the price of a 1909-S

Home Forums Coin Forums Coin Stories 1909-S VDB for the price of a 1909-S

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Garry naples Garry naples 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Bruce Boyce
    Bruce Boyce
    Participant

A long time ago at a coin show I was going through a dealers coins trying to find a couple to buy. He had a bunch of Lincoln Cents I was going through. One of them was a 1909-S. I always look at coins that I am buying with a magnifier, and I spotted what appeared to be a VDB on the back of the coin. Except it was very, very faint. I almost thought I was imagining it, because it wasn’t fully visible. If I remember right, you could see the bottom part of the ‘VDB” and the top was super weak. Anyway, I decided to buy the coin. I think it was a VG or Fine, some lower grade coin. I showed it to a couple of dealers. One said it was a 1909-S VDB, and the other said it was not. I decided to send it in to get certified (which is the only coin I have ever sent in to get certified in my life). I sent it to PCI at the time because it was cheap. It ended up coming back as a 1909-S VDB “Weak VDB”. I was so so so happy when it came back! Later I ended up selling it because I needed money, but I made a few hundred dollars on it!

Profile photo of David Salyer
    David Salyer
    Participant

Awesome Bruce! Way to Cherry-pick!

Profile photo of Bruce Boyce
    Bruce Boyce
    Participant

Thanks David! That will probably be the best investment coin I will ever buy in my life lol!

Profile photo of Garry naples
    Garry naples
    Participant

Good job!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.